Monday, October 8, 2018

Review- KILL OR BE KILLED VOL. 4



KILL OR BE KILLED VOL. 4 (Image, First Printing, 2018; Softcover)

Collects Kill Or Be Killed #15-20 (cover dates January- June, 2018)

Writer: Ed Brubaker

Artist: Sean Phillips

Colorist: Elizabeth Breitweiser


Damn! I don't really know what else to say about this series and its ending other than...damn. Things aren't always as black and white as they seem, but maybe sometimes they are. Or maybe not. Either way, this is now my favorite Brubaker/Phillips collaboration. Elizabeth Breitweiser is one of the best colorists in the business, adding texture and mood to every scene.

This series is timely and timeless. Mass shooters are a seemingly daily occurrence, and Dylan fits the mold. History of mental illness, injudiciously prescribed psychotropic drugs, illegally obtained firearms...this is a nightmare story for any parent in the 21st century. Put the crime/noir/occult overtones in and you have a series worth reading.


I would like to thank my local library for carrying the first two trades. I am extremely choosy with my purchases these days but had to buy this series after reading those two books. I regret nothing.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 5 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

The covers are collected in the back of the book, a major pet peeve of mine. While there is a blank red page which serves as a chapter marker for each issue, I dislike it when the covers aren't placed before the issues. Your mileage may vary.

Paper stock: Matte coated stock with minimal sheen. This is some fantastic paper.

Binding: Perfect bound paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Matte coating on the cardstock which is remarkably resistant to scuffing. Image makes quality books these days, and I'm not just referring to the content.

No comments:

Post a Comment