Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Review- THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN: COMPLETE COLLECTION



THE ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN: COMPLETE COLLECTION (Image, First Printing, 2017; Hardcover)

Collects The Astounding Wolf-Man #1-25 and Invincible #57 (cover dates May, 2007- November, 2010)

Writer: Robert Kirkman

Artists: Jason Howard with Ryan Ottley* and Cliff Rathburn* (*Invincible #57)

Colorists: Jason Howard, Fco Plascencia, and Ivan Plascencia


Life is a funny thing. You just never know. You can think that you have everything all sewn up nice and neat and then something happens and your life is forever changed. Something like...I dunno, being attacked by a werewolf and becoming one yourself.


The Astounding Wolf-Man, while having a supporting cast and recurring antagonists, is about Gary Hampton and his rise, fall, and redemption. This was both a double dip and a re-read and it held up extremely well the second time through. Sadly I have come to the realization that I will likely never reread any book that I own unless I double dip on an upgrade, since my OCD compels me to read every book that I buy, and I have so many unread books in my backlog waiting to be read.


You can see what I thought about Volume 1, Volume 2, Volume 3, and Volume 4 back when they were first released. Maybe I'll upgrade to another super duper deluxe edition and read it again someday. I really enjoyed this ultraviolent, fast-paced, action-packed superhero comic for the 21st century.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Paper stock: Thick coated stock with a slight sheen.

Binding: Sewn binding. While the book block does flex so it lays about 80% flat, the square casing prevents 100%. Who ever thought that these super squared spines were any good? They look great on your shelf but dig into your hand when you are reading them.

Hardback cover notes: The image is printed on the the laminated casewrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment