Monday, May 21, 2012

Review- MGM MIDNITE MOVIES: MOTEL HELL AND IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE


MGM MIDNITE MOVIES: MOTEL HELL AND IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE (IDW, 2011; Softcover)

Collects Motel Hell Nos. 1-3 and It! The Terror From Beyond Space Nos. 1-3 (cover dates July- December, 2010)

Writers: Matt Nixon (MH) and Dara Naraghi (ITTFBS)

Artists: Chris Moreno (MH) and Mark Dos Santos (ITTFBS)

Books like this make no sense to me. First, it makes no sense why they are published, and second, it makes no sense to me why would I buy this. Another thing that makes no sense is that while It! The Terror From Beyond Space is a pretty straightforward remake of the original movie with minor tweaks, Motel Hell is a sequel of sorts.


The writing and artwork on Motel Hell made it hard for me to really get into it. I actually put this book down after issue one and wasn't going to even bother reading it. (See OCD zone for more on that.) I have a policy that if I bought it, then I must read it, so I soldiered on. The only time that I did not adhere to this policy was the Spider-Man J manga digest. 


It! The Terror From Beyond Space was more enjoyable overall. I love how it takes place in the future of 1973. The writing and artwork are serviceable on this title.

The OCD zone- This book is a piece of shit. The glue cracked the first time that I read it, and pages 13-18 came loose and eventually fell out. The rest of the book was solid, so it could be a fluke, but I am still calling shenanigans. I handle my books gingerly, and for pages to fall out the first time that it is read is bullshit. The paper is a thick, dull matte finish, uncoated stock. I have never had this happen with any other IDW books, and hope that my G.I. Joe Yearbook trade paperback doesn't suffer the same fate, as it uses the same paper and the glue is white like this book's glue is.

Follow my blog on Facebook.

DC has made strides in fixing the problem of their books not laying flat. Join the cause page if you want make sure that DC keeps up the recent good work on their hardcovers. Don't do it for me, do it for the children. Won't somebody please think of the children??

No comments:

Post a Comment