Friday, December 7, 2018

Review- JAMES BOND VOL. 2: EIDOLON


JAMES BOND VOL. 2: EIDOLON (Dynamite, First Printing, 2017; Hardcover)

Collects James Bond #7-12 (cover dates June- December, 2016)

Writer: Warren Ellis

Artist: Jason Masters

Colorist: Guy Major

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Man, this is a fun series. I've seen most, if not all, of the Bond films over the years but am no expert on the character by any stretch. This comic has a feel and tone similar to the best bone-crunching Bond films, the Sean Connery and Daniel Craig ones.

Not being a Bond expert means that I am probably glossing over many Easter eggs, but I'm okay with that. I got enough out of the outstanding story and art to give it a recommendation. Eidolon ties into Spectre somehow, but seeing as how I can't remember anything about that movie offhand I can't comment on how faithful or accurate it is continuity-wise. Then again, the best thing about Bond has been the elastic continuity, spanning nearly 60 years of movies with the character remaining roughly the same age. You have to let some things go on the sliding timescale in order for the character to not become a period piece relic.


My local library has the third Dynamite Bond book in stock, and I will have read it long before you read this review. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 5 out of 5.

UPDATE: I checked out the third book. It featured a different creative team and fell flat. I quit reading it two issues in. If I don't pay for a book then I don't feel obligated to read it.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Library copies are fascinating studies in the durability of these books. I look at them like science experiments, as the average human handles their books like the Samsonite Gorilla when compared to how I handle my books.

Paper stock: Medium weight glossy coated stock.

Binding: Sewn binding. Book block glued square to the spine.

Hardback cover notes: This is a library copy, so it is fascinating to see how well the laminated casewrap has held up with repeated handling.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I dropped off after Ellis left. There is, however, a recent collection that compiles four or five one-shot issues, and they were all excellent. Go get that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...from the library, when they get it in. I don't need more books. I probably have more books than some shops.

      Delete
  2. James Bond: Case Files
    I had to think all day to remember the title. The contents are way more memorable, trust me.

    ReplyDelete