Friday, December 14, 2018

Review- AVENGERS: THE ONCE AND FUTURE KANG


AVENGERS: THE ONCE AND FUTURE KANG (Marvel, First Printing, 2013; Softcover)

Collects Avengers #262-269, Avengers Annual #15, and West Coast Avengers Annual #1 (cover dates December, 1985- Annual, 1986)

Writers: Roger Stern, Danny Fingeroth, and Steve Englehart with Jim Shooter and Mark Bright

Artists: Pencilers/Breakdowns- John Buscema, Steve Ditko, and Mark Bright; Inkers/Finishers- Tom Palmer, Klaus Janson, and Geof Isherwood


Oh man! This is where things got real for then-12 year old me. I bought issue 262 off of the spinner rack at 7-11 when it was released in September of 1985. I was in 7th grade at the time and, as hard as it might seem to believe to younger comic book fans today, one had to hide the fact that they still liked “childish things” like superheroes at age 12 back then.


#263 was another one that I bought off of the spinner rack. The Roger Stern/ John Buscema era rules. The art team of Buscema and Palmer had a rough edge to it which lent itself to the action. I fell hook, line, and sinker for this crossover. I was already buying Fantastic Four, so part two of this story in #286 was another spinner rack purchase. I picked up X-Factor #1 because of this issue.


I didn't buy 264 at the time, which is too bad since it's such a great issue. Oh well. I don't recall buying #265 at the time, although I have read it in the Secret Wars II Omnibus. I did pick up 266 at the time. The 32 pages with no ads cover blurb, along with the Silver Surfer and Secret Wars II epilogue, enticed me to buy it. It was an awesome issue then and it holds up every bit as well today.


It is issue 267 that blew my mind as a kid. I love Kang The Conqueror with all of the endless timestream and divergent timelines, and this issue was read many times that winter. I didn't get 268 or 269 at the time, probably due to a lack of money. This was a fantastic ending to the Kang saga.

This splash page blew my mind as a kid, back when alternate timelines in Marvel Comics weren't a daily occurrence. I remember thinking wait...how is Storm back in her old costume WITH her powers back?

The annuals I've read before in other collections. Steve Ditko did the artwork on Avengers Annual #15. His artwork at this stage of his career was solid if not his most illustrious effort. This was a crossover with West Coast Avengers Annual #1. I enjoyed the battle with Freedom Force.


This was another great collection of real Avengers comics. Roger Stern is one of the holy trinity of Avengers writers. Accept no substitutes.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 5 out of 5.


The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

While this book is out of print, it's contents (minus issues 262 and 263) have compiled along with the contents of the Under Siege hardcover/trade and the orphaned Alpha Flight #39, which addressed why Sub-Mariner left the team, in Avengers Epic Collection: Under Siege trade paperback.

Issue 263 was part of a three part crossover with Fantastic Four #286 which led into X-Factor #1. These issues aren't essential to understanding the issues in this collection, but Marvel has spoiled us with their completeness so their omission is curious. If this were a DC collection I would be praising the inclusion of all of the story pages and word balloons.

Linework and Color restoration: Nearly perfect. To be honest with you, I am going to have a hard time justifying a double dip when the Marvel Masterworks line reaches this run of of Roger Stern trades. Knowing me I likely will double dip anyways, but the end of the Stern run is where I will ultimately jump ship from the Masterworks line either way.

Paper stock: The same wonderful matte coated stock that Marvel uses in all of their collected editions for material with flat coloring. I love it.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback. You can see the slight separation in the front and back of the book with the perforated binding, but a dollop of acid free library glue would deal with that if it becomes an issue down the road. It's not like I'll ever have time to read this book again before I die to find out either way.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover.

2 comments:

  1. I hate Kang so, so much. Kang is the opposite of entertaining. Roger Stern, however......If Marvel hired Roger Stern to be the monthly writer for a bunch of current books, I would buy the shit out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kang can be one of the best foes for the Avengers but very appearances by him and/or Immortus get bogged down by the writer feeling a need to spend time retconning chunks of the character's history and appearances, and then they rarely stick around long enough for this to all pay off. As a result the characters got tied in ever more convoluted knots and it took a whole maxi-series to extract them.

    ReplyDelete