Monday, August 27, 2018

Review- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 7




AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 7 (Marvel, First Printing, 2018; Softcover)

Collects Amazing Spider-Man #29-32, 789-791 (cover dates August, 2017- January, 2018)

Writers: Dan Slott with Christos Gage

Artists: Stuart Immonen, Greg Smallwood, and Wade Von Grawbadger

Colorists: Marte Gracia, Jordie Bellaire, and Rain Beredo

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Crossovers can be an exciting thing. Done from time to time, and done right, they can generate excitement and entice new readers to jump on board and discover titles that they might have otherwise overlooked. Done wrong, they serve to make entering comics impenetrable and aggravate long time readers, giving them the perfect jumping off point with endless relaunches.



Marvel was in full panic mode as the PR disaster known as Secret Empire sent longtime readers packing. The “Superior” Doctor Octopus proved to be an interesting adversary, but then we got slapped right into the middle of the Secret Empire crossover with fake Hulk, etc. Then it's back to Doc Ock and the fallout of Parker Industries. This is what Dan Slott will be remembered for, aside from being a Twitter bully. The years long fan fiction garbage that he kicked off before#700 which sent me and many other readers packing. Don't believe me? Well numbers don't lie.

Behold! The carnage of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run in units and dollars!


Issue 32 didn't feature Spider-Man at all unless you count Norman Osborn's hallucination of him. It was a good issue nonetheless, as it is the turning point in which Norman Osborn is bound and determined to undo the cure for the Goblin Formula so that he can once again become the Green Goblin.

The Mockingbird as Spider-Man's girlfriend bit is already tired and needs to be done away with. The battle with the Human Torch in #791 is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. Slott really outdid himself making a horrible issue this time out. And then we have the return of Sandman who is now...not a man? She-Sandman? Sandwoman? Sandgirl? Did Flint Marko become transgender? I haven't a clue because s/he appears without any context or explanation. Clowntown!

I've plowed through seven Amazing Spider-Man Worldwide trades. They were free from the library and I still feel ripped off. I feel sorry for anyone who paid to read this crap.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Library copies are fascinating studies in the durability of these books. I look at them like science experiments, as the average human handles their books like the Samsonite Gorilla when compared to how I handle my books.

Paper stock: Fair weight coated stock with a glossy sheen. I would stop short at calling it full on glossy stock.

Binding: Perfect bound paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is pretty much why I've given up on almost all new books by Marvel and DC. Lots of great old stuff being rereleased, and enough good stuff from other publishers to keep me busy for decades to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was free from the library. My library adds about $100 or so on to my property tax a year so I feel that it is my duty to use it for free reads as much as possible!

      Delete