Sunday, August 19, 2018

Review- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 6

Alex Ross homage to John Romita Sr.'s brilliant painting for the cover of The Spectacular Spider-Man #2.



AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 6 (Marvel, First Printing, 2017; Softcover)

Collects Amazing Spider-Man #25-28 (cover dates May- August, 2017)

Writers: Dan Slott with #25 back-up stories by Christos Gage and others

Artists: Stuart Immonen and Wade Von Grawbadger with #25 back-up stories by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Cam Smith, and others

Colorists: Various

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Dan Slott starts things start out in full fan-fiction mode, with Spider-Man and current love interest Mockingbird on a mission with an assortment of doppelgangers on the hunt for Norman Osborn. Osborn was dead once again (for the second time?) only he is now not dead again. Who can keep this stuff straight any more?

Silver Sable is also back, and she wants Osborn dead. This brings us to the next fan fiction facet of our tale, with Spider-Man abusing his position as CEO of a publicly traded company to invade the sovereign nation of Symkaria. Look, I don't care who pulled what coup, if Peter Parker had an ounce of “responsibility” he wouldn't have risked the livelihood of his employees along with the money of his shareholders on this grudge match against Osborn. It's possibly the dumbest thing Peter Parker has done since he let that burglar run by him in the television studio many moons ago.



In spite of all of this stupidity, or more accurately because of it, we see a nice throw down between Norman Osborn sans Green Goblin powers and Spider-Man sans spider powers. Norman used some old school Goblin gas to rob Spider-Man of his powers. This battle is one of the few bright spots in this otherwise abysmal dreck.

We also get to see the “Superior” Doctor Octopus, a younger more “Instagramable” looking Doc Ock for this now generation. I'm happy to see him back in action, although his new appearance has everything to do with making him pop on the silver screen with no consideration to his history on the printed page.

Give me a Like on Instagram. 

Man am I glad that I didn't spend money on this book. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude since Spider-Man is my all-time favorite character and I try to keep an open mind with modern comics because my 11 year old son likes them, but man does this arc suck. I shudder to think that this could possibly be someone's introduction to the characte.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Library copies are fascinating studies in the durability of these books. I look at them like science experiments, as the average human handles their books like the Samsonite Gorilla when compared to how I handle my books.

Paper stock: Fair weight coated stock with a glossy sheen. I would stop short at calling it full on glossy stock.

Binding: Perfect bound paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment