Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Review- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 2




AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 2 (Marvel, First Printing, 2016; Softcover)

Collects Amazing Spider-Man #6-11 (cover dates March- June, 2016)

Writer: Dan Slott

Artists: Matteo Buffagni, Giuseppe Camuncoli, and Cam Smith

Colorists: Marte Gracia

I borrowed this book from my local library.

The Peter Parker as CEO angle is still highly annoying. Imagine, if you will, a kid who is a fan of the movies and decides to start reading Spider-Man comics. A kid who, against all odds of finding a comic shop unless he happens to live in an area that even has one, has parents who will give him four or five bucks to buy a comic instead of a Fortnite app. That mythical kid wouldn't even recognize what is going on here. Cue snarky fanboys (term used in the original pejorative) who say that kids don't read comics and that you (meaning me) can't accept change. The problem is not with the character, it is with the writer or fans who are so bored with the character that they will accept any change willy-nilly under the illusion of character development.

As clunky as the Peter Parker personal life angle is here, the bits where he is Spider-Man work for the most part. I enjoyed seeing the return of Mister Negative. While I am not a fan of the Ultimate Universe Samuel L. Jackson Nick Fury being in the main Marvel Universe, I am willing to let it go for the sake of the mythical kid who is just starting to read comics. To the civilian population, that is Nick Fury. Make mine Steranko, though.



The outer space satellite battle, coupled with Spider-Man making reentry with his Spider-armor, was among the dumbest things that I have ever read in a Spider-Man comic. I have a healthy suspension of disbelief but this was just stupid. I also can't say that I care for Mockingbird being shoehorned in as a sort of Spider-Man sidekick. It doesn't work.

On the flipside, there are some interesting subplots a-brewing. Dead and defunct villains like The Rhino, Electro, and The Lizard are reappearing behind the scenes. The superpowered hero(?) Regent is seen again. It has been revealed that Doctor Octopus' consciousness has been downloaded into The Living Brain.



So I'll keep reading since these developments are interesting, and because I don't have to pay for them since I checked them out of the library.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.75 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Library copies are fascinating studies in the durability of these books. I look at them like science experiments, as the average human handles their books like the Samsonite Gorilla when compared to how I handle my books.

Paper stock: Fair weight coated stock with a glossy sheen.

Binding: Perfect bound paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment