Sunday, July 15, 2018

Review- AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 1




AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: WORLDWIDE VOL. 1 (Marvel, First Printing, 2017; Softcover)

Collects Amazing Spider-Man #1-5 (cover dates December, 2015- February, 2016)

Writers: Dan Slott with Christos Gage (#5) and back-up stories from #1 by Robbie Thompson, Dennis Hopeless, and Anthony Holden

Artists: Giuseppe Camuncoli and Cam Smith with back-up stories from #1 by Stacey Lee, Paco Diaz, Javier Rodriguez, and Anthony Holden

Colorists: Marte Gracia with back-up stories from #1 by Ian Herring, Javier Rodriguez, Israel Silva, and Jordie Bellaire

I borrowed this book from my local library.

I bowed out after Slott ruined Spider-Man with ASM #700, although I did read some of the post-Superior Spider-Man stuff from the library. My library has all seven Worldwide trades, so I checked them out. Spider-Man is my all-time favorite character but I cannot financially support what Dan Slott has done to him.

Slott sucks, but the artwork is pretty good in this book.

Peter Parker is now a wildly successful CEO a la Tony Stark? My god Dan Slott sucks. Slott writes Peter Parker's long-winded Kumbaya make the world a better place instead of making money spiel a chore to sit through. I am glad that I borrowed this from the library instead of spending my money on it. If you support Slott then the terrorists win, or something like that.

Peter Parker is supposed to be the everyman. That is his hook and his universal appeal from day one, and as evidenced by the movies and cartoons it still works to this day. When he married Mary Jane Watson, who at the time was a supermodel, it was a shift that made him less relatable to many readers. Making him a CEO and having everything going right for him seems incredibly wrong, as even fewer people can relate to that. Slott fumbles the ball yet again.



Slott has turned Spider-Man into a corporate espionage, hacking tech-heavy pile of crap. I read this book as fan fiction peppered with moments that were somewhat enjoyable. I enjoy the Zodiac, and it was neat seeing Spider-Man and The Prowler tangle with them. Slott has since been booted off the title and put on Iron Man, which makes sense because his writing here shows that he is bored and doesn't know what else to do with the character.

My son made me this for Father's Day. He loves Spider-Man as well. This will hang on my refrigerator until I die. 


I dislike that Nick Fury is now the Ultimate Universe Samuel L. Jackson version. I get it that to the “civilians” that Samuel L. Jackson IS Nick Fury, but this is not the case with the comics. I'll have to let that one go I suppose. I also disliked how every single formerly dead supporting cast member is back among the living. Maybe it was that Mephisto thing, maybe it was some other ret-con like the second or third Secret Wars crossover? I don't have a clue. Marvel's continuity has gone down the crapper and is as bad as DC's these days. I found Regent intriguing enough to continue reading the second volume from the library. Comics are more fun to read when you don't pay for them.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Library copies are fascinating studies in the durability of these books. I look at them like science experiments, as the average human handles their books like the Samsonite Gorilla when compared to how I handle my books.

Paper stock: Fair weight coated stock with a glossy sheen.

Binding: Perfect bound paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment