Monday, May 20, 2019

Review- WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN VOL. 9- THE HUNTER AND THE HUNTED


WOLVERINE: OLD MAN LOGAN VOL. 9- THE HUNTER AND THE HUNTED (Marvel, First Printing, 2018; Softcover)

Collects Old Man Logan #41-45 (cover dates August- October, 2018)

Writer: Ed Brisson

Artists: Francesco Manna (#41-42) and Juan E. Ferreyra (#43-45)

Colorists: Carlos Lopez (#41-42) and Juan E. Ferreyra (#43-45)


This volume consists of two stories over five issues rather than a bloated six part arc. Things move fast, make their point, and we all move forward. I like it. The first two issues collected here show Old Man Logan take on Kraven The Hunter. Come to think of it, it really doesn't make sense why Kraven had never hunted the greatest animal of them all, does it? It's a match up that is so obvious that you smack your head wondering why nobody had ever done it before.


The rest of the book shows OML's rematch with Bullseye. As much as I enjoyed the more cerebral era of this title early on, I have to admit that the more straight up superhero fare is great fun. Seeing an older Wolverine realizing the limitations of age unfortunately rings more true with me with each passing day. Like Old Man Logan, my prime is in my rearview mirror. And like Old Man Logan, I'm also too damn stubborn to fold.


The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Paper stock: The semi-glossy coated stock Marvel uses is getting thinner and thinner as time goes on. I get it, rising paper costs, diminishing demand for paper, etc, but I can still grumble about it.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock. The cardstock Marvel uses is also thinner these days, although it helps to make the book sit in your hand like a fat periodical, so it's not all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment