Friday, February 22, 2019

Review- BATMAN/ FLASH: THE BUTTON- THE DELUXE EDITION

My son asked me if I would read this before reading Doomsday Clock. He assigned it to me as weekend homework reading before his next visit. His mother bought him this book, so full disclaimer: I didn't pay to read this book. My son is 12 and I won't let him read Watchmen, which I suppose makes it a sort of forbidden fruit for the lad. Alas, I am not sure how much enjoyment he will derive from this or Doomsday Clock without understanding the reference points of Watchmen. I explained things to him as best as I can without revealing certain, age-inappropriate things about the series. 



BATMAN/ FLASH: THE BUTTON- THE DELUXE EDITION (DC, First Printing, 2017; Hardcover)

Collects Batman #21, 22, and Flash #21, 22 (cover dates June-July, 2017)

Writers: Tom Cook and Joshua Williamson

Artists: Jason Fabook and Howard Porter

Colorists: Brad Anderson and Hi-Fi

Wow, talk about your assumed knowledge, self-referencing works. This is the prequel to the main event which spun out of DC Rebirth #1, that 80 page comic that was a reset of a reset of reset, or something like that. This story is a fun, action packed read, but falls flat on its face overall because the writers assume that everyone has a working knowledge of Watchmen and the DC Universe. While the majority of readers do, someone like my son who has a budding interest in comics simply didn't understand a lot of this. Reading the book with his confusion in mind and looking at it through his eyes made me look for clues to explain the story to a “civilian”. The pickings were slim.


S P O I L E R S abound- you have been warned. So Doctor Manhattan is likely the “god” that is somehow pulling the strings and has left The Comedian's button in the DC Universe? To what end? Alan Moore would be rolling in his grave if he were dead. If DC is trying to blur the lines of all ret-cons and reboots into one cohesive universe, using Reverse Flash (Thawne) seems even more confusing. Maybe this is my Marvel thinking, but wouldn't every single attempt at altering Flash's history by going back in time change nothing and only create alternate timelines?


While I am not a DC expert, I have a mild working knowledge of their continuity. Even so, I found some of these reference points to be confusing. I know that this is all make believe, but all of this ret-conning and rebooting has made a mess of things.


Like I said above, as fun a read with nice artwork that it is, it's a thin story. The prequel is little more than a stunt, which I suppose is appropriate since this Doomsday Clock event is one of the biggest stunts since The New 52.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.5 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is the part where I go into tactile sensations and materials used in physical media. Those with heart conditions, high blood pressure, or women who are pregnant should exit my blog at their earliest convenience, as their safety cannot be guaranteed beyond this point.

Paper stock: Super thick coated stock with a medium sheen.

Binding: Sewn binding. Go DC!

Dustjacket and Hardback cover notes: This particular printing has a lenticular dustjacket. I can't recall of another collected edition with this feature. Very cool. The single issues boasted this feature, so this was a nice nod to that. The hardback has a glossy laminated casewrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment