Sunday, June 12, 2016

Review- Free Comic Book Day Offerings Part Five


Free Comic Book Day Offerings Part Five



Free Comic Book Day: The Stuff Of Legend (Th3rdworld Studios, cover date 2016)
I have always found this concept to be interesting and have wanted to read more, but time and money haven't allowed me to do so. Fortunately for me my son has shown me the joy of checking out books from the library. I have checked out the first volume in the series and am looking forward to reading it.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.



Mix Tape 2016 (Devil's Due/ First Comics, cover date 2016)
Like the title states, this is a sampler of different titles. Mercy Sparx and Badger are both readable yet not very memorable. Squarriors is fascinating, though. Beautifully drawn, cleverly written, it is something that is worth a second look. How To Dragon Your Train is amusing and well done.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.



FCBD: March (Top Shelf, cover date, 2016)
I have heard much buzz about this comic, which is the story of the Civil Rights movement. It is a powerful story presented in black and white. Comic books are every bit as legitimate an art form as music, literature, and the cinema. Like those artforms, comics are capable of being anything under the sun. March uses the strengths of this unique medium (pictures and words) to great effect and delivers a read that is as powerful as the real life message that inspired it. 
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.75 out of 5.



Free Comic Book Day: The Phantom (Hermes Press, cover date 2016)
This is a sampling of Jim Aparo's brilliant take on the character from 1970. Hermes' restoration is a bit off. They should either do full blown, frame up restoration or cleaned up raw scans. Their hybrid approach doesn't work for me. My OCD homeskillet Ferjo Byroy owns all of these Phantom Archives and strip books. Maybe someday I will borrow them from him.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.



Worlds Of Aspen 2016 #1 (Aspen Comics, cover date May, 2016)
This is slick and polished and enjoyable enough...just not enough for me to plunk down money and buy.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.75 out of 5.



Assassin's Creed: Free Comic Book Day (Titan Comics, cover date May, 2016)
I know nothing about the video game, as I don't play video games. That aside, this is good stuff as a comic book. Everything works, the art is good, and the hook is strong. I have no idea how this relates to the game if at all, but as a comic book I liked it.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.



Avatarex: Free Comic Book Day Special Preview (Graphic India, cover date 2016)
Grant Morrison is prolific, that's for sure. He bounces from stuff like Batman to creator owned stuff and everywhere in between. Avatarex reminds me of Atomika for some reason, only with more mainstream friendly artwork. The other story in this book is a preview of 18 Days, another heady, larger than life concept. Both of these concepts are interesting, but not interesting enough to get me to open my wallet.

Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.5 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment