Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Review- FCBD Offerings Part 2


And Then Emily Was Gone #0: FCBD Special (Comix Tribe, cover date, 2015)

I went to 8 stores on Free Comic Book Day this year so that I could get as many different comics as possible. I was pleasantly surprised by And Then Emily Was Gone, as it has a weird overall tone, both in writing and artwork. The Oxymoron back-up story was also very enjoyable. Who knows, maybe I will pick up one of their books after all.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.5 out of 5.


2000 AD Free Comic Book Day Prog 2015 (2000 AD, cover date 2015)

A smorgasboard of past, present, and future 2000 AD properties, the one that stood out for me was Judge Dredd. Nothing else really grabbed me but everything was certainly readable. I was pleased to see the announcement that there will be a second Daily Dredds hardcover collecting more of the UK Judge Dredd strip.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.


Free Comic Book Day: The Phantom (Hermes Press, cover date 2015)

Predating Superman and every other masked hero that you know of, “The Ghost That Who Walks” is one of those characters that I was interested in but not enough to buy a hardcover of blind. Enter this sampler from Hermes Press, reprinting several short stories from the middle era (1960s-1970s) of the character, including a story with artwork by the godlike Jim Aparo. I will try to resist hunting down this line of books, as several are out of print and expensive.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.


Terrible Lizard #1: Free Comic Book Day Edition (Oni Press, cover date May, 2015)

Huh. Well how about that? Cullen Bunn isn't the first name that springs to mind when thinking of light-hearted, fun, all-ages comics, but I'll be darned if this isn't a slick comic that I am not afraid to share with my kids. It's a story about a 14 year old girl whose father does some dimensional breach bit and brings back a dinosaur of some kind who bonds/imprints with the girl. Good stuff.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.75 out of 5.


Jurassic Strike Force 5 Free Comic Book Day One-Shot (Silver Dragon/ Zenescope, cover date May, 2015)

Hot on the heels of Terrible Lizard comes this offering from Zenescope's non-cheesecake all-ages imprint, Silver Dragon. This is a hybrid of a number of different concepts that isn't anything particularly fresh, nor is it particularly bad. It's readable enough although I don't think that I would pay for it. My 8 year old son enjoyed it quite a bit.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.


Tales Of Honor Volume Two #0 (Top Cow/ Image, cover date May, 2015)

I can take or leave outer space stuff that isn't Star Wars or Star Trek, and Tales Of Honor is no different. While it's a solid and polished concept with decent artwork I don't care enough to spend any money on it.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment