Sunday, December 28, 2014

Review- REVIVAL VOL. 4: ESCAPE TO WISCONSIN


REVIVAL VOL. 4: ESCAPE TO WISCONSIN (Image, 2014; Softcover)

Collects Revival #18-23 and Chew/ Revival #1 (cover dates March- August, 2014)
Writer: Tim Seely
Artist: Mike Norton
Colorist: Mark Englert

While my wallet would love for me to deep-six all new comics and focus on collections of classic material, my mind remains a seeker of experiences. I have to read comics from all eras as a sorbet to cleanse my palate. While many modern comic books do indeed suck there is a greater depth and breadth of material available in the past five or so years than at any other time in the history of comics. There is good stuff out there, you just have to look hard to find it.

I loathe cross-brand crossovers. There are so many in comics these days that the novelty has become a nuisance. I had an immediate attitude against the Chew/ Revival one collected here because I read the first issue of Chew way back when and thought that it kinda sucked. I was pleasantly surprised to find it enjoyable. Crossovers still suck, though.

Revival is one of my favorite ongoing titles. I am a sucker for Horror and like it even better when it is given a fresh spin. There is development after development with only a minor reveal here and there. The only problem with this is that the more developments that are heaped on top of one another the greater the chance there is for disappointment if the payoff isn't worth it. So far so good. This is a slick, highly polished read that keeps even cynical, jaded readers like myself intrigued.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.25 out of 5.

The OCD zone- Image makes good quality books.
Paper stock: Thick semi-glossy coated stock.
Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback
Cardstock cover notes: Matte coating, resistant to scuffs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment