Thursday, June 12, 2014

Review- Free Comic Book Day offerings, Episode IV

Free Comic Book Day offerings, Episode IV

The beauty of hitting seven shops on FCBD is getting a smorgasbord of titles. Some of these are leftover stock from previous FCBD but I grabbed anything that I had not grabbed during the day.

The Censored Howard Cruse Free Comic Book Day Edition (Boom, cover date May, 2012)
Underground comics have never been my cup of tea. Still, these are decent and enjoyable enough for what they are. I can't say that I would ever consider buying a book of it, though.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.



The Mis-Adventures Of Adam West/ Walter Koening's Things To Come flipbook (Bluewater Comics, cover date 2011)
Bluewater's output is readable but I wouldn't buy this. Recycle bin material or sunlight/dust shortbox handle blocker? You decide.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.


Skyward Halloween ComicFest Edition (Action Lab Entertainment, cover date October, 2013)
This is decent and entertaining enough. I am not running out to buy more, but I also did not throw it in the recycle bin when I finished it.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.5 out of 5.


Molly Danger Featuring Princeless: Free Comic Book Day one-shot (Action Lab Entertainment, cover date May, 2013)
I like reading comic books. I will read almost anything if it is A) a physical copy and B) it is free. It is when I pay for things that I become choosier. I would never pay to read Princeless, as it is abysmal. Molly Danger was tolerable if forgettable.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 1 out of 5.



Viper Comics Presents Volume One (Viper Comics, cover date April, 2006)
A variety of different, equally uninteresting concepts. The only one that might be worth killing a tree to make is The Dummy's Guide To Danger, and even that might be pushing it.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 0.75 out of 5.



Shigeru Mizuki's Showa: A History Of Japan (Drawn & Quarterly, cover date 2014)
I am not much of a Manga fan but can enjoy anything that is well done. This was enjoyable enough. I dislike backwards opening, right to left reading traditional format Japanese comics. They piss me off and are unnatural. Still, this was an okay way to waste a slice of my day.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment