Thursday, September 19, 2013

Review- Morbius The Living Vampire #9


Morbius The Living Vampire #9 (Marvel, cover date November, 2013)

Writer: Joe Keatinge

Artist: Richard Elson

Colorist: Antonio Fabela

The universe is a strange and often cruel place. For instance, Deadpool can somehow support an ongoing series, sometimes several at one time, while my beloved Morbius The Living Vampire can only last nine issues. Morbius will be mothballed until exhumed, and Deadpool fans will still get their monthly fix. This is concrete proof that either A) God hates me or B) There is no God.
In any case, this more human take on our Living Vampire has been a fun ride. Aside from the two issues marred by the appearance of the so-called Superior Spider-Man, this series has maintained a consistent level of quality month in and month out. Everything is tied up neatly and, dare I say it, Morbius might finally have found a little happiness, if not a happy ending.

While It! The Living Colossus was not in the final issue as I had hoped and dreamed, we do get to see the Manphibian, which was pretty darned cool. Marvel needs to bring It! The Living Colossus back. It's time for It. Like smartphones, people simply don't realize how much they need It in their life until someone shows it to them. It was cool seeing Morbius go wild in this issue. A few of the scenes are pretty darned gruesome. I loved it. Let's just say that the Rose gets a what for. 


While showing Morbius the man was an interesting idea, I would like to see a series featuring Morbius the monster. Shoot, I'll write it myself! Let's see...one issue would have a witches coven who possesses Morbius to ward off the Werewolf By Night, who is a threat to them because of his curse tied to the Darkhold. Can't forget the huge 6-part arc featuring It! The Living Colossus. Nah, those made for the trade arcs suck. Maybe it'll be a two-parter. Have to figure out a way to work in the Living Mummy and the Frankenstein Monster. I'd have to bring back Helleyes. Who wouldn't love one of those cool faux-Satanic cults conjuring a monster of some sort for Morbius to battle? Lots of rams heads and pentagrams and wavy-bladed daggers for sure. It would be sweet.

Ridiculous flights of fancy aside, I enjoyed Joe Keatinge's writing and Richard Elson and Antonio Fabela's tasteful artwork and coloring. I'll miss seeing my pal Morbius around, but at least we got 9 issues of it. If you would have told me a year ago that Morbius would have his own series in 2013 I'd have laughed at you. I would have wanted to believe you, but I would have laughed at you.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment