Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review- Morbius The Living Vampire #3


Morbius The Living Vampire #3 (Marvel, cover date May, 2013)

Writer: Joe Keatinge

Artist: Richard Elson

Color Artist: Antonio Fabela

It is tough following monthly comics. I have no idea how I did it last century. I've been all about collected editions since I returned to the hobby a decade or so ago, and Morbius marks the first time that I've followed a series in the single issue periodical format since 1989/1990. I'm convinced that the one extra sale from me will save the book from cancellation, or so my wishful thinking goes. Such is my love for this character and my desire to see this series continue ad infinitum. The 5 week wait between issues 2 and 3 was agonizing.


Things go from bad to worse for our dear Dr. Michael Morbius. While initially trying to stay out of everyone's way, he ends up trying to help out and makes things worse, both for himself and everyone around him. Having not fed for days, he gave in to his hunger and attacked the Brownsville crime boss, Noah St. Germain. Now the people whom he was trying to help are afraid of him because he's a vampire, and Noah's girlfriend Rochelle shoots him through the neck because he attacked her boyfriend. 


Morbius is taken captive but manages to talk his way out of torture by saying he can save St. Germain. Rochelle has one of her boys tailing Becky and Henry (the people Morbius is trying to help) and has orders to kill them if her boyfriend doesn't get saved by Morbius. Morbius is a medical doctor, and try as he might too much blood has been lost and too much time has passed. Morbius might be fast with those hollow bones, but he's not faster than a cellphone.

I feel that this will read a lot better in a trade paperback with the entire story in front of you. As an individual issue it is very good but not great. This is not a slight against Joe Keatinge's writing, Richard Elson artwork, or Antonio Fabela color art; they are all wonderful and top notch. I guess that I've gotten so used to having a complete arc in front of me when I sit down that it is hard for me to digest the monthly serial. Like Morbius needing to feed, I will be scratching at my arms and head, twitching and shaking while waiting for my next fix of this title.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.

The OCD zone- I am used to the self covers now. I am not fond of them but am used to them. 
There are 20 pages of story, an introduction page and a letters page.
Paper rating: 4 out of 5. The paper used in modern comic books is way better than the pulp paper that everyone seems to pine away for.

No comments:

Post a Comment