Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Review- MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE #2 (2013) and ESCAPE FROM PLANET EARTH

Morbius The Living Vampire #2 (Marvel, cover date April, 2013)
Writer: Joe Keatinge
Artist: Richard Elson

It's been seven agonizingly long weeks, and the second issue has finally hit the stands. The players are all in place, and things continue to build. We have Dr. Michael Morbius, the star of the show. Wanda Evans and her son Henry, Henry's babysitter Becky, and Noah St. Germain, the crime lord of Brownsville. Brownsville is a depressed, forgotten section of the city not unlike Detroit. 
Henry has fallen in with his uncle, St. Germain. Morbius meets Becky, and in a it's-a-small-world-after-all scene finds out that she is Henry's babysitter. Morbius goes with the family to retrieve Henry and things go sour. A throwdown between St. Germain and Morbius occurs, and Morbius, not having fed for days...well, that would be telling. 
The story moves a bit slow but is well written and well drawn so it makes things easier to swallow. This will probably read better in a collected edition when you have 5-7 issues in a row served up. Joe Keatinge has made Morbius seem the most human out of the entire cast. Morbius doesn't know exactly what to do, but he knows that he wants to do the right thing. Richard Elson's artwork and Antonio Fabela's color art are both spit-shined to perfection. This is a slick, seamless read, and it will be four long weeks until issue 3 is released. I'll be waiting with bated breath...
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.

The OCD zone- I stand corrected about my review for issue 1, where I bitched about two of the 22 story pages being solid black with a line of dialogue. As it turns out, Marvel Comics offer 20 pages of story instead of 22. I guess I haven't been paying attention or counting pages with my current Marvel Comics. My bad. For those who say hey, where are the other two pages!?! Comic book page counts have fluctuated over the years, from 22-23 per issue to as low as 17 during the '70s. The economy, advertising revenue, and creator workload are all factors. In other words...relax, folks.
I still dislike self covers at $2.99, but would probably dislike real covers and a $3.99 price point even more.
Escape From Planet Earth (Rainmaker, 2013)
My hatchlings have been bugging me to take them to see this for weeks, and with Winter Break upon us I agreed to take them to see it this afternoon in 2D. I am completely over 3D. My son is 6 and my daughter is 3, and they loved it. I thought that it was formulaic, contrived, and insipid. There was not one scene where I laughed or really even enjoyed. I didn't hate this movie, it just left me cold. There's nothing objectionable for parents to concern themselves with except for the horrid product placement for 7-11. Product placement sucks ass. I have been decrying it since it first reared it's ugly head back in the '90s. 7-11 should give me a Slurpee just for seeing this lameass film. Oh well, I'm not the target audience for this turd, just the guy who buys the tickets and concessions. You could do worse than this movie, but you could also certainly do much, much, much better.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 1.5 out of 5.



No comments:

Post a Comment