Thursday, November 1, 2012

Review- NIGHT OF 1,000 WOLVES


NIGHT OF 1,000 WOLVES (IDW, 2012; Softcover)

Collects Night of 1,000 Wolves Nos. 1-3 (cover dates May- July, 2012)

Writer: Bobby Curnow

Artist: David Wachter

The gist: A village elder is prevented from making a sacrifice which results in the return of the Nagbre, the wolf mother. You get all of the werewolf-type action that you could possibly want in a Horror comic. Fans of Dark Ages-flavored sword and sorcery stuff will also be delighted by this story. I'm not sure if there are a thousand wolves depicted here or not. Perhaps I should go back and count each wolf and then demand my money back if there are not a thousand of them. 


David Wachter's artwork is superb, Bobby Curnow's writing is clear and this reads at a brisk clip. This is a tad more decompressed than I like but is undeniably good. Plus, it has werewolves! Kind of. I am a sucker for werewolves, wolfmen, or any other incarnation of lycanthropes or wolf spirits.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 5 out of 5. 


The OCD zone- I Love the smell of toxic Korean printed books.

Paper rating: 5 out of 5. This book has incredibly thick coated stock with a slight sheen. I love it.

Binding rating: 4 out of 5. Glue. Meh.

Cardstock cover coating rating: 4 out of 5. This has a decent coating that should hold up well with repeated handling.

Follow my blog on Facebook.

Join my Facebook group, DC Collected Editions Fans Who Want Sewn Binding and Books That Lay Flat, a watchdog organization dedicated to top notch production values in DC's collected editions.

No comments:

Post a Comment