Friday, October 12, 2012

Review- KISS/ MONSTER

Kiss/ Monster (Universal, 2012)
Monster, Kiss' 20th studio album*, is a complete and total jam. It sounds old school and authentic from top to bottom, from the songwriting to the singing to the production. This, kids, is what we call Rock and Roll. No loops. No samples. No Protools or autotune. Human beings playing instruments. No outside writers.
Every song is a winner, and it has those comfortable moments that will remind you why you fell in love with Kiss in the first place. Yes, it sucks that Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer wear Ace and Peter's make-up, but don't let that deter you from giving this album a spin. Tommy Thayer does the best Ace Frehley guitar solos since the band's '70s heyday. All four members co-write the songs, and all four take turns doing lead vocals. In other words, this is an authentic old school Kiss record.
For the first time since Unmasked, I missed buying a new Kiss album on the day of release. My life is now meaningless. I had thought that the originally announced October 16 release date still stood, not realizing that the album was bumped up a week. I didn't discover it until Wednesday the 10th while shopping at Target with my daughter. I spotted it on the endcap and flipped. I couldn't believe that I missed it. I missed out on 24 hours of jamming this album. I broke tradition. And worst of all, I will likely be given a dishonorable discharge from the Kiss Army for deserting my post.
*Not counting live albums, the 1978 Kiss-branded solo albums, or any of the compilations or box sets, even those with previously unreleased material like Killers.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.

Follow my blog on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment