Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review- CALIGULA VOL. 1

CALIGULA VOL. 1 (Avatar, 2012; Hardcover)
Collects Caligula Nos. 1-6 (cover dates February, 2011- January, 2012)
Writer: David Lapham
Artist: German Nobile
The novelty of the gross-out factor that is synonymous with Avatar Press has worn off. While this is repulsive, it is no longer shocking. This is based on the supposedly true story of Caligula, but I am not sure if the talking demon horses and soul boxes thing really happened. I enjoyed this, but it wasn't as gripping or disturbing as Crossed, so I won't be sticking with this series. It's really well done and worth a read for sure, I just won't be along for the ride.
The OCD zone- Avatar Press makes high quality books. The cover image is printed on the book itself, and has a super thick coating. The book also has sewn binding, but it is glued flush to the spine. It lays reasonably flat. The paper seems a tad thinner than in the past, but I did not pull out my Crossed hardcovers for comparison, so I could be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment