Friday, July 29, 2011

Reviews: Streets of Glory; Heathentown

STREETS OF GLORY (Avatar, 2009; Softcover)
Collects Streets of Glory Nos. 1-6 (cover dates October, 2007- October, 2008).
Avatar Press is usually associated with ultra-violent, gore flecked artwork and “adult” overtones (read: excessive profanity), and Streets of Glory is no different. While inferior to Crossed, Wolfskin, and Black Summer, this is a solid, entertaining read. I picked this up super cheap at the Detroit FanFare last Fall, and it was worth a read at half price. Your mileage may vary, depending on if you're a Garth Ennis fan or not. The “crazy injun” angle is annoying in my opinion.
HEATHENTOWN (Shadowline/ Image, 2009 Softcover)
Original Graphic Novel.
Wonderful! I love Horror comics...especially when you combine voodoo, the undead, a dead/undead liplock, cults and even pre-historic creatures. This one's got it all! This is a done in one sitting type of read, but it's so good that I actually want to read it again. I can't always say that about these original graphic novel type of books. The artwork is in black and white, and I always enjoy my Horror comic books more without color. This was another bargain bin find at the Detroit FanFare last Fall. I am pretty adventurous when things are cheap. I had never heard of this until I came across it in a box at that convention, and that is the reason I love going to cons and comic stores in general...the joy of discovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment