Monday, May 23, 2011

Review: Siege- Mighty Avengers

SIEGE: MIGHTY AVENGERS (Marvel, 2010; Hardcover)
Collects Mighty Avengers Nos. 32-36 (cover dates February- June, 2010).
Here we are, at the end of yet another Marvel title, so that it can be subsequently rebooted and get a short-term sales spike with a new Number 1. Rinse. Repeat. This sort of thing gets tedious to us fans who like runs of titles, not fake renumberings or reboots with a new creative team. This story arc (written by Dan Slott) ties in ever-so-slightly with Siege, especially the ending of Siege. It seems hastily re-written so as to be labeled a Siege crossover and to gain those sales spikes. I am numb to crossovers anymore. I mean, can't we just have stories in regular titles? Events used to happen in regular titles that had ripple effects throughout the entire Marvel Universe. Nowadays, everything is set up to milk the maximum amount of dollars out of an ever-diminishing fanbase. Sorry to be so cynical, but that's just how I feel after reading this. So what did I think of the story? It was okay. Not great, not bad, but okay and worth a read. I kind of like this team of also-rans, although things do seem to fall apart by the end of the book. I enjoyed seeing Ultron back in action, as he is one of my all-time favorite Avengers villains. I'm not sure that I buy the "scientist supreme" Hank Pym...it seems pretty contrived. I wish that Marvel would turn the Avengers back over to Roger Stern. Now that would be something to get excited about!

No comments:

Post a Comment