Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Meanwhile...

Back in the myspace daze, I used to post reviews on everything. Movies, music, concerts, you name it. When I dismantled ye olde blog and moved here, I focused primarily on comic books. I have decided to bring back my multi-media blog. I'll stick with stuff from the last week but keep it current from here on out.
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
I finally got around to seeing this at the $1.00 show, a/k/a the Ghettomark in Warren, and man did it suck. I loved G.I. Joe growing up, had a bunch of the toys, watched the cartoons, read the comics for a few years, etc. The whole bit. This movie was absurd to the point where I was laughing out loud during the action sequences towards the end. Being a comic book fan, I have a healthy suspension of disbelief. Things don't have to be realistic, but they have to be believable. This movie could only have been worse if Michael Bay helmed it. The Baroness was smoking hot, though. 2/10
Wolfmother/ Cosmic Egg
Wolfmother is the best band of the 2000s (The White Stripes debuted in the '90s). I loved the first album, and this one is even better. I sprang for the 2 disc deluxe edition, which has 16 instead of 12 tracks. I like how it has the tracks interspersed, with 8 on each disc, rather than the 12 of the normal album on one, and the other 4 on another.
This band hits all of the sweet spots for yours truly. The warbly, early Sabbath Ozzy style vocals, big, warm sounding fuzz tone guitars, melodies, etc. There is a fine line between crushing power and so much melody that it's cheesy, and Wolfmother gets it. You need both for truly great Rock music. I love the Blue Oyster Cult, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, and Led Zeppelin nods throughout this album. I also love the fact that this band is firmly entrenched in 1975.
I am bummed that I have prior commitments that will prevent me from catching them on the 12th, but I will make it a point to catch them on the next leg. These guys are great live, and I can't wait to hear the new stuff live.
10/10


No comments:

Post a Comment