Thursday, February 2, 2017

Review- MARVEL MASTERWORKS: DOCTOR STRANGE VOL. 1



MARVEL MASTERWORKS: DOCTOR STRANGE VOL. 1 (Marvel, First Printing, 2010; Softcover)

Collects the Doctor Strange stories from Strange Tales #110, 111, 114-141 and the main story from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #2 (cover dates July, 1963- February, 1966)

Writers: Stan Lee and Don Rico (#129)
Artists: Steve Ditko with inking by George Roussos (#114, 122-125)



I bought this and read it years ago, but I dumped that copy when it fell out of print and was commanding several times over cover price. I'm not married to my collection and will cash in whenever I get a chance. I then found this copy shortly thereafter out in the wild. I had to read the new copy, which is in and of itself a reread. Marvel has since reissued this in hardcover (which has also fallen out of print). This material is currently available in an Omnibus hardcover.

This was very enjoyable on the re-read. The essence of Doctor Strange's second battle with the Dread Dormamuu was caught in last year's movie, Doctor Strange. I'm not going into much else here, as you can read what I thought of this material a few years ago.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.

The OCD zone- Softcover Masterworks are wider than a standard trade paperback.

Linework and Color restoration: Marvel Masterworks are the Criterion Blu-Rays of collected editions. Top shelf restoration and a color palette faithful to the original comic books.

Paper stock: Matte coated stock, the paper used in these books (as well as Epics) is my favorite.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment