Sunday, May 29, 2016

Review- Free Comic Book Day Offerings Part Three

Free Comic Book Day Offerings Part Three



Cirque Du Soleil: The Complete Collected Edition (Marvel, cover date February, 2015; softcover)

Collects Cirque Du Soleil #1-3

One comic shop that I went to was giving away this skinny trade, which states on the front cover that it is a “Custom Edition” and “Not For Resale”. From what I gathered in the 0.987 minutes that I spent researching it, this was a marketing stunt thought up by the Las Vegas promoters to get a male audience into Cirque Du Soleil. They launched it on Marvel's digital comics site and had some stupid contest. Zero marketing dollars were spent and it resulted in 5,000 Facebook likes for Cirque Du Soleil. That and five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

It's slick and polished, but as a read it is crap. The story is just plain boring. Still, this dead stock was given away at one shop on FCBD so the only thing that it cost me was the time that it took to read it. I had no interest in Cirque Du Soleil before I read this book and I have no interest in it now.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 1 out of 5.



Skyward/ Fracture Halloween ComicFest Edition (Action Lab Entertainment, cover date October, 2013)
I thought that this was familiar when I read it, and that's because it is. It was dead stock from the Halloween ComicFest 2013 and was given away at Free Comic Book Day 2014, and I already reviewed it here. It gets the same rating from me two years later.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.5 out of 5.



Atlas: Origins #1 (Dave Swartz Art, Kickstarter, cover date 2015)
Green Brain Comics in Dearborn, MI tends to explore the more out there and independent comic books available. While this particular comic book not my cup of tea I do enjoy seeing what is out there in the fringes of the medium from time to time.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.5 out of 5.



Free 2016 (Retrofit/ Big Planet Comics)
Comic books can be anything under the sun. What appeals to some people does not have to appeal to others. While I am admittedly more of a capes and newspaper strips kind of guy there are bits and pieces of this sampler of indie comics that work, particularly Jacob Bladders And The State Of The Art. Not all comics are for everyone. I am okay with that.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.



BOOM! Studios 2016 Summer Blast (BOOM Studios, cover date May, 2016)
This is a sampling of six different BOOM and Archaia properties. None of them are making me open my wallet, nor were any of them awful.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.25 out of 5.



Doctor Who: Free Comic Book Day 2016 (Titan, cover date June, 2016)
It never ceases to amaze me how socially acceptable Doctor Who has become. In my fledgling nerd days in the 1980s even we nerds thought that Doctor Who was for nerds. Times change, and this beloved British icon has made inroads on this side of the Atlantic. My 9 year old son loves Doctor Who. There's a kid at his school who has a Doctor Who backpack for chrissakes. I know nothing about the character but found these short stories to be entertaining.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment