Monday, May 11, 2015

FCBD Offerings Part 3


Savage Dragon: Legacy FCBD #1 (Image, cover date May, 2015)

I have never been a huge fan of Erik Larsen, as I've always dismissed him as a wannabe Todd McFarlane. This would be because he followed him on Amazing Spider-Man and his style was so similar that he seemed too derivative for me to ever take seriously. I never bothered to check this series out but for free I figured what the heck. Worst comes to worst I will throw it in the recycle bin.

I couldn't believe that I found this to be enjoyable. It was actually entertaining, for crying out loud! I don't think that I will be plunking down any money for it but would happily review it if someone wants to send me a box of trade paperbacks.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.


Free Comic Book Day 2015 (Dark Horse, cover date May, 2015)

This features three short stories, one from Fight Club, one from The Goon, and one from The Strain. I didn't care for Fight Club at all while I found The Goon to be fun and readable. The Strain has always seemed interesting and I've always wanted to check it out but something about it has always kept my money in my wallet.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.


Legendary Comics 2015 Preview (Legendary, cover date, 2015)

Little more than a showcase for their various “IP”, this “comic” from a film company is a waste of time.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 0 out of 5.


Free Comic Book Day 2015: Ice: Bayou Blackout, and The Ride (12-Gauge Comics, cover date, May, 2015)

This is a split book, with a preview of two concepts. Ice: Bayou Blackout is okay. I really, really enjoyed The Ride, and I would buy a trade of it if one existed. Solid stuff overall and worth a look if you are bored with whatever you are reading.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.5 out of 5.


Mercury Heat Debut FCBD (Avatar Press, cover date May, 2015)

Avatar Press has never been one to pull their punches, and this offering is no different. While I didn't much care for this you could do worse.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.75 out of 5.


Drawn & Quarterly FCBD 2015: SuperMutant Magic Academy/Step Aside Pops Combo (Drawn & Quarterly, cover date 2015)

The number of different concepts in comic books are incalculable. Comics come in all shapes, sizes, and flavors, and not everything has to be for everyone. Case in point, this comic book. It's not really what I would ever look for in a comic, and yet there were a handful of gags in this collection of gag strips that made me chuckle or brought a slight smile to my face. This was okay for what it is even if it is not what I am interested in.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.25 out of 5. 

No comments:

Post a Comment