Sunday, April 26, 2015

Review- CALIBAN


CALIBAN (Avatar Press, 2015; Softcover)

Collects Caliban #1-7 (cover dates March, 2014- February, 2015)

Writer: Garth Ennis

Artists: Penciler- Facundo Percio; Inker- Sebastian Carrol

Colorist: Hernan Cabrera

I plowed through this book one night and initially thought Been there done that. I liked it better when it was called Alien. Then I thought about that for a minute. After all, what was Alien but a bold reinterpretation of The Thing From Another World and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers wrapped up in then-cutting edge special effects and H.R. Geiger's brilliant designs?

Having said that, much of this is similar to Alien. Crew of Earth astronauts on a voyage in space working for a company. Crew encounters a strange craft, albeit the way that this crew encounters the craft is different from how the crew of the Nostromo encountered their problem. The gist is the same, though, as there in an alien being who takes over a few different people, one at a time.

This was good enough but didn't bowl me over. There were some interesting ideas presented and the execution was decent. If you are young enough to not know about Alien then this might rock your world.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5.

The OCD zone

Paper stock: Thick glossy coated stock.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock.

1 comment:

  1. That's disappointing. I have this in my pile, and was looking forward to reading it. However, by the time that I get around to it, I may be so old that I no longer remember Alien, soooo...

    ReplyDelete