Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Review- BLACK DYNAMITE


BLACK DYNAMITE (IDW, 2015; Softcover)

Collects Black Dynamite: Slave Island one shot and Black Dynamite #1-4 (cover dates April, 2011- August, 2014)

Writer: Brian Ash

Artists: Jun Lofamia, Ron Wimberly, Marcelo Ferreira, and Sal Buscema

Colorists: Jim Ringuet

I was lucky enough to catch the film at the former Burton Theatre in Detroit (now under different owners and called Cinema Detroit) when it was making the indie rounds and have been a fan ever since. I was also lucky enough to have a first printing of Slave Island, which I dumped on eBay and cashed in on, using the money to buy this book. Black Dynamite paid me to buy this book.


While the aforementioned Slave Island one shot is the best issue in the book, the other issues are all good in their own right. Issue 1 is the weak link, but 2 through 4 are all great. Each issue is a self-contained story. I especially enjoyed the one with Tibetan monks, although the one about the shoes was equally memorable.


This is tongue in cheek satire and homage to and of the Blaxploitation genre. There are many jokes about race, so super-sensitive politically correct types need not apply. Those of us with a sense of humor will enjoy this immensely. While word on the street is that the animated series won't be back for a third season*, one can only hope that we get another movie or some more comic books.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.

*I feel guilty about this since I don't watch television. I waste my time reading comics, listening to music, and surfing the Internet, not glued to the boob tube. Sorry.

The OCD zone- This book smells nice. Really, really nice. I sat there huffing that magical toxic Korean made scent.

Paper stock: Thick semi-glossy coated stock. Nice.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperbacks.



Cardstock cover notes: The lamination started peeling off as I read it. Not cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment