Thursday, October 2, 2014

Review- CAPTAIN AMERICA: MAN & WOLF


CAPTAIN AMERICA: MAN & WOLF (Marvel, 2011; Softcover)

Collects selections from Captain America #402-408 (cover dates Early July, 1992- October, 1992)

Writer: Mark Gruenwald

Artists: Rik Levins with Inking by Danny Bulandi, Steve Akexandrov, Don Hudson, and Ray Kryssing.

Captain America stumbles upon some Druid cult that turns a town into werewolves. Doctor Druid is now not only alive, but younger, more fit, and even has that '90s longhair ponytail that every character seemed to have at that time. So Doctor Druid's male pattern baldness was cured and he also lost his paunch. Add in some occult gobbledygook where Dredmund Druid takes John Jameson's Man-Wolf Moonstone and uses it to become the Starwolf and you have a fun read that sounds really, really dumb on paper. Werewolf By Night guest stars, and so does Wolverine for a minute. I have grown to really hate Wolverine, so just the sight of him loses this book a point.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3.25 out of 5.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Marvel/CAPTAIN-AMERICA-MAN-WOLF-TP/NOV100659

The OCD zone- I already know that I will be repurchasing this material when the Epic line gobbles this run up. I will give this book to my son at that time. I read it to him for his bedtime story over a few nights and he loved it.

DVD-style Extras included in this book: None.

Linework and Color: Things look really good. I'm happy.

Paper stock: The same stock that Marvel uses on their softcover Masterworks, Classic, and Epic lines. Medium weight coated stock with almost no sheen. I love it.

Binding: Perfect bound trade paperback.

Cardstock cover notes: Laminated cardstock. 

2 comments:

  1. I remember this arc as being great fun back in the day. I have this trade, but God knows when I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. The only reason that I read it now was because I told my son I'd him some of my comics if he cleaned his room without me asking him twice. He did, so this was one of five choices of unread books that I gave him to choose from.

      Delete