Sunday, July 7, 2013

Reviews- Monsters University and Despicable Me 2


Monsters University (Disney/Pixar, 2013)

So we were at the in-laws on the 4th of July, and my mother-in-law was recovering from her recent surgery. A houseful of 5 kids wasn't conducive to rest, so we went to see this. Aside from snippets I've caught while my kids were watching it at home, I have not seen the first movie. We did go on the ride at Disneyworld (or was it Disney Hollywood Studios?), so there is that, too. I liked this well enough, I guess. I would have never went and seen it if not for my kids, as the premise doesn't appeal to me. The CGI is perfect, almost disturbingly so. It's sad when the fake looks more realistic than the real.

The story is as predictable as any of these kids' movies, with things telegraphed a mile away. That is fine, as this movie was made for my 6 and 3 year old, not me. I'll never understand why they pay big bucks to have celebrities voice these movies. Kids don't care who did what voice, and I certainly don't care, either. Just give me a bag of popcorn.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 3 out of 5. 




Despicable Me 2 (Universal, 2013)

Another sequel that I saw in the theatre but I did not see the original. I think my wife or my father-in-law took my son to see the first one at the show. I don't know. I just know that I never saw it. I did go on the ride at Universal Studios on our vacation last month.

My wife had to work on Friday, July 5, so that left me home alone with two kids. I looked outside and saw rain, so I went for the low hanging fruit: a movie. The kids wanted to see this anyways, bugging me for weeks. The reach of marketing to children never ceases to amaze me. They know all of the release dates for these movies.

Two different people texted during the movie, once each. Texting during movies should be a felony. I will admit that I would have rather been surfing the Internet rather than watching the movie, but I will not ruin anyone else's experience at the theatre by pulling out my phone. Humans suck.

Like Monsters University, I had no interest in this movie. Unlike that film, there were aspects of this movie that I found to be highly enjoyable, Gru dressing as the Fairy Princess at his daughter's birthday party being up there. The CGI is well done. Things are telegraphed from a mile away and I had the end figured out within the first act...whatever. This was not made for me, it was made for my kids. Just give me a bag of popcorn and keep my kids quiet for a while.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.

So I saw two movies in a 48 hour period, neither of which were on my list. I wanted to see The Lone Ranger, for chrissakes! Not this weekend, but hopefully soon...
And as usual, I saw these films in 2D. Fight the power!

2 comments:

  1. You saw two films that were critically superior to The Lone Ranger, so kudos to you (or was it to your kids?)
    Monsters U had many small references to characters from the 1st film so you might have appreciated it more if you saw that one before U.

    What did you and the kids thing about Pixar's short 'The Blue Umbrella?'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that, but everyone enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete