Monday, October 22, 2012

Review- NEXT MEN VOL 3: AFTERMATH

NEXT MEN VOL 3: AFTERMATH (IDW, 2012; Hardcover)
Collects Next Men: Aftermath Nos. 40-44 (cover dates February-June, 2012)
Writer and Artist: John Byrne
Here we are, the end of the road for the Next Men. The ending was either brilliant or cliched, depending on your viewpoint. In one reality, I love it. In another, I dislike it a lot. Yet my mind seems to inhabit both planes of reality and both timestreams, and I am becoming unable to discern which one is which. I share the memories and experiences of both lives, and my frequent timestream slips are becoming disorienting. 
Perhaps one day I will sit down with all 3 Premiere Edition Hardcovers, the 2112 Original Graphic Novel (collected in the Compleat Next Men phone books and the Classic trade paperbacks but not the hardcovers- what the f*ck, IDW!), and all 3 hardcovers from the current series and try to map all of these events out. I am thoroughly disoriented after reading this book.
By the way, was Lincoln assassinated in this plane of reality of not?
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.
The OCD zone- This book has the same dimensions as an Avatar Press hardcover.
Paper rating: 5 out of 5. Nice, thick coated stock. This has a smooth feeling, unlike many Korean and Chinese coated paper stocks.
Binding rating: 5 out of 5. This book has sewn binding which, while glued square to the spine, still lays reasonably flat while reading due to the fact that this is a thinner book.
Hardcover coating rating: 4 out of 5. I am not a fan of the screen printed covers where the coating is only applied to certain images. I prefer the Avatar Press method, where they use a super thick waxy coating on the entire hardback. I am beginning to like books with printed covers over those with dustjackets.

Follow my blog on Facebook.
Join my Facebook group, DC Collected Editions Fans Who Want Sewn Binding and Books That Lay Flat, a watchdog organization dedicated to top notch production values in DC's collected editions.

No comments:

Post a Comment