Sunday, September 9, 2012

Review- THE MILKMAN MURDERS


THE MILKMAN MURDERS (Dark Horse, 2005; Softcover)

Collects The Milkman Murders Nos. 1-4 (cover dates June- August, 2004)

Writer: Joe Casey

Artist: Steve Parkhouse

Okay, this is why I tend to avoid reviews from comics news sites, as they are often biased as all get out and are never, ever unfavorable. There was a feature piece about the forthcoming Image Comics hardcover reissue of this book over on Comic Book Resources dot-com, and I read it. The concept sounded intriguing, and the cover image looked cool. Doesn't the book sound cool from the write-up in this article? I sure thought so. The original Dark Horse trade paperback can still be obtained for cheap. I went that route, and I am glad that I did, because this book completely sucks and should be avoided at all costs.

How can anyone think that this book is scary? You have the requisite shock value, the obligatory gore, and of course, sex. I didn't find anything about this book particularly scary, particularly shocking, or particularly good. It just sort of meanders along from scene to scene, with no purpose or intent. If you did enjoy this book, then I am happy for you. It falls completely flat as a Horror book. I did not enjoy it, and I will be dumping this turd on eBay during my next purging.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 1 out of 5.

The OCD zone- This is a really nice package overall. It has a decent weight coated stock paper and sewn binding. It lays reasonably flat in your hand like a periodical, yet feels solid like a trade paperback should. Two of the four covers are included in the book, so it loses an OCD point for omitting two of them. There are chapter marker pages, so they could have easily included them.

Paper rating: 4 out of 5.

Binding rating: 5 out of 5.

Cardstock cover rating: 4 out of 5.

Follow my blog on Facebook.

Join my Facebook group, DC Collected Editions Fans Who Want Sewn Binding and Books That Lay Flat, a watchdog organization dedicated to top notch production values in DC's collected editions.

No comments:

Post a Comment