Thursday, March 1, 2012

Review- Ultimate Iron Man II

ULTIMATE IRON MAN II (Marvel, 2008 ; Hardcover)
Collects Ultimate Iron Man II Nos. 1-5 (cover dates February- July, 2008)
Writer: Orson Scott Card
Artists: Pasqual Ferry
I got this for free, in mint condition and sealed in its original factory shrinkwrap. Marvel must have way overprinted this book, because there were stacks of it on the counter at Warp 9 Comics in Clawson, MI, free with purchase over whatever dollar amount (can't remember). I am not a fan of the Ultimate line of comics, as I have a hard enough time keeping the real Marvel Universe's continuity straight without this line's continuity mucking things up.
This was pretty terrible. I guess that Card is a New York Times best selling author, according to the dustjacket blurb and inner flap information, but he is not a good comic book writer. At no point in this book were any of the characters believable or likable. I didn't care who won, who lived, or who died. I just kept thanking my lucky stars that this book was free. I feel sorry for anyone who paid money for this dreck. I would've bailed on finishing it if it weren't a fast read, or if there wasn't a chance that the ending might not totally suck. Oh well, I wasted an hour or so of my life on this book. No big deal in the grand scheme of things, I guess.
The OCD zone- Typical Marvel Premiere Edition hardcover fare. Glued binding, coated cover, nice paper stock. These are a decent package overall.

Follow my blog on Facebook.
Help us send DC a message to let them know that we want them to make their hardcover books with sewn binding, no gutter loss, and lay flat. Join the crusade!

No comments:

Post a Comment