Monday, January 9, 2012

Review: Whiteout- The Definitive Edition Vol. 1

WHITEOUT: THE DEFINITIVE EDITION VOL. 1(Oni Press, 2007; Softcover)
Collects Whiteout Nos. 1-4 (cover dates July- November, 1998)
Writer: Greg Rucka
Artist: Steve Lieber
This was one of those 'nick and dent' bookstore market returns that are available at a steep discount at comic conventions. I was blown away by the quality of the artwork and picked it up.
This is top shelf stuff. I often feel embarrassed when I discover something like this, only to find that it has long been celebrated in nerd circles. I can't be everywhere at once, kids. There are only so many hours in a day and so many dollars in my wallet. I guess that the important thing is that I discovered it at all. Seriously great stuff, I recommend this to everyone, comics fan or not. 
Steve Lieber's artwork is stellar. He employs many techniques and gets the most out of the black and white format. A great artist can “paint” color in your mind, and Lieber does just that. I am sorry, but this title deserves some gushing. It is that good.
I have been more adventurous with my reading habits as of late, and it's really paying off. While I am tired of the big two's reboots, ret-cons and crossovers, there are plenty of great comic books being published by countless other publishers. It's not the medium that's tired, it's the traps and conceits of certain genres that are tired.
The OCD zone- This book was published in what is called the 'graphic novel' format size. It's larger than a digest but smaller than a standard trade paperback. The format works for this material. My only gripe is that the original issue's covers are not included in this book, even though there is a blank chapter marker page before each issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment