Friday, August 12, 2011

Reviews: BATMAN: THE CULT and THOUSAND FACES BOOK 1: TWO MULES, A RIFLE AND TEN BULLETS

BATMAN: THE CULT (DC, Fourth Printing, 2009; Softcover)
Collects Batman: The Cult Nos. 1-4 (cover dates August- November, 1988)
This was a good, albeit dark and gritty, read. This type of stuff helped push me out of comics back in the day. As an adult, it re-reads really well. Bernie Wrightson's craft had really deteriorated, with his artwork looking nothing like his early '70s Swamp Thing heyday and everything like Frank Miler.
I recall the four “prestige format” books having nice paper, unlike this trade paperback, which boasts the same crappy toilet paper that DC uses in their Vertigo trades. It really mutes the colors, which were bright and vibrant in the original issues.
THOUSAND FACES BOOK 1: TWO MULES, A RIFLE AND TEN BULLETS (Humanoids/ DC, 2005; Softcover)
I have come to a sad, sad realization. I will not only be unable to afford to read every comic book that I want to read, but I will also never have the time to read them. This was another half off find at a comic convention, and I need to stop picking these things up. I stumble across them, and often have never heard of titles like this, flip through it, and get sucked in. Rinse. Repeat. This is a very good read. Lots of meat to it, both in writing/ dialogue/ narrative and in the artwork department. I just don't have the time or space in my ever shrinking house to store all of this stuff. If you are a fan of Westerns, Horror, and cowboys and Indians, then this is for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment