Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reviews: Superman and Batman Vs. Vampires and Werewolves; Cut

SUPERMAN AND BATMAN VS. VAMPIRES AND WEREWOLVES (DC, 2009; softcover)
Collects Superman and Batman Vs. Vampires and Werewolves Nos. 1-6 (cover dates Early December, 2008- Late February, 2009).
I don't throw the word great around often or use it lightly, but this book is great. Great writing by Kevin VanHook, moody and evocative art by Tom Sutton, tasteful, exquisite coloring by Eyring...heck, even the letterer, Steve Wands, deserves a shout-out for his vintage, John Constanza-esque lettering. It looks like Constanza's work in the early issues of Swamp Thing, all creepy and angled. I love classic Horror stuff, and it doesn't get any more classic than vampires and werewolves, does it? Everything fires on all cylinders, and everything works. Top quality from top to bottom, you can't go wrong with this book. 
CUT (Dark Horse, 2007; softcover)
Original Graphic Novel.
While I appreciate the fact that this is a Horror story devoid of humor, it is simply too little story spread over too many pages for me to give this my fullest recommendation. It reads well, and the artwork is okay, but it I cruised through this entire book (112 pages) in about 20 minutes. Worth a read if your library carries it. I, unfortunately, paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment