Saturday, May 28, 2011

Review: Avengers Prime

AVENGERS PRIME (Marvel, 2011; Hardcover)
Collects Avengers Prime Nos. 1-5 (cover dates August, 2010- March, 2011)
With the exception of a "fan fiction" type sexual innuendo jokes, this was another fine read by writer Brian Michael Bendis. If it's good it's good, and I have no problem saying that. If I pay my money and I feel ripped off at the end, well, then I'll say that too. His dialogue is only occasionally bad here, but Alan Davis' gorgeous artwork helps lift this book to heights of greatness. I really, really enjoyed reading this. Without giving too much away, this is a tale of how three estranged friends (Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers, the original Captain America) make amends...while fighting bad guys. Rock and roll.
I have also come to a conclusion: When Bendis is paired with top artistic talent, then things go more smoothly. A lot of the people that drew the old New Avengers series were subpar at best. This mini-series and the ongoing, adjective-less Avengers with John Romita, Jr., were great reads because everything was top notch. I also feel that Bendis was maybe trying harder to put more story in each issue here than he has in the past as well. Perhaps he should dial down the number of books that he writes in a month to better hone his craft, or at the very least as a sort of quality control. He would make a good editor and co-plotter for sure. Who knows, maybe Bendis isn't so bad...is he? This is the last of the recent vintage Avengers collected editions in my marathon, so it will be some time until we find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment