Sunday, June 21, 2015

Review- Inside Out


Inside Out (Pixar/ Disney, 2015)



I went into this film as cold as one could possibly be, knowing not only what the film was about but not even knowing the name of the film as I was next in line to buy tickets! I had no idea that there was a new Pixar movie until the film started. This was a Father's Day visit with my Father-In-Law and nieces and nephews which wound up with a trip to the movie theater. Much to my delight, the only place left for nine seats together was the second row, the better to keep the texting humans out of my line of sight. There was a sea of humanity in the theater. I am certain that some moron there felt that their text was more important than the movie.



Once again, the early Fox Network show Herman's Head is ripped off, this time in the form of the inside of an eleven year old's mind. Riley's family moves from Minnesota to San Francisco because, at least to the best that I could piece together, her Dad hates his money and would rather be crammed in like sardines in a neighborhood with shitty pizza rather than to enjoy living in a spacious home with friends and family nearby. Her mind has five personalities: the annoyingly positive Joy, the sensible Fear, the get the job done Anger, the pretentious yuppie Disgust, and always melancholy Sadness, all of which fight for control of her as she experiences tumult as she has never known before due to her cross-country move.

I wanted to punch the annoying, bubbly Joy. People that positive are usually hiding something, like a drug addiction.

During the confusion Riley's memories gets jumbled by her emotions and Joy and Sadness get jettisoned into her islands of identity (Goofiness, family, etc.) and have to get back to Headquarters via the Train Of Thought before Anger, Fear, and Disgust turn this borderline pubescent into a raging monster. Along the way Joy and Sadness meet Bing Bong, and if you aren't choking back tears at Bing Bong's fate then you are a desensitized monster without a shred of humanity. This film is smart and funny, and I think that the parents liked it more than the kids.

Bing Bong.


How I felt spending $36 on four tickets just to get in...and that was before concessions.

This film is proof positive that we are living in the second Golden Age of animation, with these Pixar films being the vanguard of standards for the 21st century. My kids have Pinocchio, Snow White, Peter Pan, and the other classic Disney films, but they don't care about them. Toy Story, Wreck-It-Ralph, Shrek, and How To Train Your Dragon are the classics as far as they are concerned.

Junk Food For Thought rating: 5 out of 5. 

Yes! I got through an entire movie without some asshole's backlit screen ruining it for me!

2 comments:

  1. 4 tickets for $36 bucks? Where can I find this magical land of 1990s prices??

    ReplyDelete