Saturday, September 6, 2014

Review- Ace Frehley/ Space Invader


Ace Frehley/ Space Invader (eOne, 2014)

Wow, the wait between albums was cut by 75%, being only five years between releases this time. Last time we had a 20 year wait between studio albums (not counting Kiss' 1998 album, Psycho Circus), so this is a good thing. Musically, Ace isn't reinventing the wheel or even himself for that matter. He uses the same foundation that he always has, the Jeff Beck/ Keith Richards/ Jimmy Page school of guitar playing done with more bite. Lyrically he hasn't moved on much since the '70s, but does anyone really want to hear Ace singing Watching the Wheels-style songs? I didn't think so.

There are some really strong songs, one or two so-so ones, and the rest are all good enough to round out a solid album. Ace's cover of Steve Miller's The Joker is pointless, though. I guess that he just likes the song and wanted his own version. Consider it a bonus track sequenced in with the album and you'll be fine.

I picked up the Standard Consumer Edition of this release, which has 12 tracks instead of the 14 found on the Deluxe Edition and comes in a jewel case instead of a digipak. The two bonus tracks are alternate versions, so I gave it a pass. The DE also comes with a poster. Random copies came with guitar picks, but since God hates me and wishes me to suffer mine did not come with one.

I am glad that Ace is still alive and kicking and making new music instead of milking the nostalgia circuit. Of course we want to hear him play the classics but I do not want to see Ace stop moving. I hope to hear new and old songs when he rolls through Detroit.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment