Friday, January 24, 2014

Review- The Nut Job

The Nut Job (2014)
It is colder than an ex wife out there. So said my friend who is divorced. I took the hatchlings to see this movie, and the dashboard of my car read 1 degree (that is Fahrenheit, folks) outside on the drive there. C-o-l-d, cold. Too cold to go outside, and so we went to the movie theatre instead of reading a book or talking to one another. I seldom go to movies for myself anymore, the result of inconsiderate assholes and poor value for my money. This crowd did not disappoint! The little kid in front of me talked nonstop while his parent texted with her feet on the seat in front of her. Stay classy, Detroit.
This film is a paint by numbers kid flick devoid of product placement. It's basically a bunch of squirrels and other park animals who are going to starve for the winter that team up with the local rebel squirrel and his Ratatouille-looking sidekick named, creatively enough, Buddy, to steal nuts from a nut store which is a front for criminals. The movie seems to take place in the late '50s/early '60s, judging by the fashions, cars, Italian mobster stereotypes, and the complete lack of black people in the movie.
The story is predictable, with the twists being telegraphed a mile away. That's okay, this movie is for my kids, not for me. I was amazed at the CGI, and at how much unnecessary detail they cram into each frame. From veins on leaves on trees to being able to count the strands of hair on the animals' faces, I can't get over how good this stuff looks nowadays. I still prefer hand drawn animation but goddamn this stuff is sharp.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2.5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment