Thursday, November 14, 2013

Review- VINCENT PRICE PRESENTS: THE SEVEN LIVES OF DR. PHIBES

VINCENT PRICE PRESENTS: THE SEVEN LIVES OF DR. PHIBES (Bluewater, 2013; Softcover)
Collects Vincent Price Presents Nos. 13, 14 and 28 , and a 9 page prequel story exclusive to this book (cover dates November, 2009- March, 2011)
Writers: Mel Smith, Paul H. Birch, and Clark Castillio,
Artists: Jon Edwards, Nadja Smith, and Mats Engesten
Colorists: Gavin Burrows, Nadja Smith, and Andrew Dodd

This is one of those books where you feel bad for the writers. The story is okay, but it is the artwork which sinks the ship. It's pretty bad at times. If you unleash stuff on the world, especially if you decide to charge money for it, then prepare to have it judged by the audience. I call them as I see them and offer no apologies.
These are the continuing adventures of the character Dr. Phibes, as seen in the 1971 film which Vincent Price starred in. I can't recall if I've seen the movie or not, but if I did, it's been decades. These comics are an okay read but the artwork and coloring are subpar to awful, depending on the issue.
I love Horror comics. I have read several volumes of this series, as well as some of the single issues. I know darn well that these are not the best issues that this series has to offer and am puzzled by the choice of issues collected in each volume. I can no longer continue to pay good money for this comic book amateur hour. There are too many good comic books being made these days for me to spend my money on this title.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 2 out of 5.
The OCD zone- This is a print on demand book, which means that keeping track of printings is impossible because no such information is provided in the book itself.
The table of contents only list the source for issues 14 and 28. The bonus story is, to the best of my knowledge, from issue 13. Bluewater really needs to up their game for their table of contents. Fans who buy this stuff like to know which issue was originally printed where.
DVD-style Extras included in this book: None.
Paper rating: 4.25 out of 5. The paper is not bad, a decent weight semi-glossy coated stock.
Binding rating: 3 out of 5. The binding is tight, requiring two hands to keep it open at all times. Having said that, it is sturdy and I have no concerns over it falling apart.
4.5 out of 5. While the cover doesn't have a super thick lamination, it is decent and scuff resistant. I'm happy.

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/Bluewater/VINCENT-PRICE-PRESENTS-VOL-1-TP/JUL090738

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ugh. Lesson learned. Never type out replies on a phone. I have somehow deleted both Dan's comment and my own and cannot retrieve them.

      In any case, the story is readable but the artwork makes you wish that you had a barf bucket handy.

      Delete
  2. Now I'm fascinated to know what Dan said. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something about he loved the films and was disappointed that this wasn't any good. I was trying to type on my phone and my Cro-magnon thumbs screwed up and hid both his and my comments. They vanished without a trace into the Negative Zone or something.

      Delete
  3. In a nutshell, I proclaimed my love for both Vincent Price AND the PHIBES films, and then lamented the fact that this doesn't sound like something that I'd be glad I bought. Thanks for caring, Ferjo. ;)

    ReplyDelete