Saturday, June 29, 2013

Review- Star Trek: Into Darkness

Star Trek: Into Darkness (Paramount, 2013)
I finally got around to seeing this Wednesday night, some six weeks after it's release. I'm a casual Star Trek fan, meaning that I watched reruns of the original series in syndication, the first few seasons of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and most of the movies. I'm not a dyed in the wool Trekkie but a fan with enough information for a reference point. Since I don't have the emotional attachment to this universe the way that my brother does I can freely accept the reboot/ divergent timeline aspect of the J.J. Abrams 2009 relaunch.
I felt like the tone and pacing of the film were great, with the perfect balance of action, humor, heart, and science fiction/ political allegory. Basement dwellers can nitpick over Spock showing too much emotion, but Zachary Quinto's take on Spock is great. I didn't realize it until I saw this movie, but he is the same guy who was the doctor on the second season American Horror Story. Simon Pegg's Scotty is another scene stealer. All of the actors pay reasonable homage to the original roles.
That's not to say that everything is perfect, though. There are a handful of things that I didn't like, number one being Kirk playing the Beastie Boys on vinyl, which is ridiculous. We will certainly have done away with all physical media 200-odd years in the future. I would have much rather heard something by those space hippies that played bicycle rims in the original series.
Khan was great. I honestly don't recall much about the original other than the dude from Fantasy Island playing the role. Of course this and the Klingons are a set up for the third (thirteenth??) film. I saw this in 2D. I will not see movies in 3D since the extra three bucks “technology surcharge” is a scam.
So yeah, I enjoyed it as an entertaining popcorn flick. And yes, please take all of my slights against diehard Trekkies as tongue in cheek. I'm no better when it comes to discrepancies in continuity in comic book movies.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.25 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment