Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review- King Tuff/ Was Dead

King Tuff/ Was Dead (Burger, 2013)
Album was originally released in 2008
I'll cut through the bull and give it to you straight: King Tuff is a space alien or a time traveler. Seriously. He supposedly comes from Vermont. What's a “Vermont”? I have never been there, nor do I know of anyone who has ever been there. Sure, I Googled it and it had all sorts of information about some purported state territory, but Google also reveals plenty about UFOs, Bigfoot, and the Loch Ness Monster, and most folks don't believe in those, either.
Point of origin aside, this human/space alien plays some of the finest boogie Rock of the past 40 years. That's what it is. You use whatever buzz word that you want to use, I'm calling it boogie Rock, because that's what it makes you want to do. Boogie. This album is punchier than 2012's King Tuff, but I won't go as far as to call it “punkier”. More boogie-ish. We'll call it boogie-er.
The album is full of round sounding riffs, which I love. Lady, Lazerbeam, and A Pretty Dress are my favorites. Kind of Guy is another winner. The vocals sound somewhere between Marc Bolan and Mick Jagger. I love the way that the album sounds, with everything sounding natural and real. No drums sounding like cannons. I adore scuzzy music like Sun Medallion, that mid '60s sound. The world stopped spinning for King Tuff decades ago in terms of songwriting and production, and we are all better off for it.
Was Dead sticks in your brain even after you sleep. It's the Doritos cheesy fingers of Rock. It sounds like the cheese powder that Doritos leave on your fingers. Even after you wash your hands, it's still there. And like Doritos, I have to finish every single one in a single sitting.
Junk Food For Thought rating: 4.5 out of 5.
The OCD zone- For those of you who just strolled through the door, this area of every review is dedicated to packaging and tactile sensations. I am a physical media dinosaur lumbering through this post-physical media landscape, trying desperately to steer clear of tar pits.
I bought this on CD, my format of choice. (Don't laugh, you vinyl fetish CD haters- you'll be hunting down CDs in 12 or so years, and I'll already have them all in that format.) The cardstock cover has the same weight cardboard as a 1960s LP jacket. Another nice vintage touch is the tip-on sleeve. It has an actual adhesive sheet on the back, just like old vinyl. While I normally distrust cardsleeves because I think that they are a conspiracy to get me to scratch my CDs just so that I will buy them again, this one has a waxy interior coating that allows the CD to exit and enter smoothly.
The original release had a green cover. Who would care that they changed the color? You, if you dared to read this far into The OCD zone...




No comments:

Post a Comment