Monday, July 23, 2012

Review- The Dark Knight Rises


The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros., 2012)
Movies have always been an escapist pleasure for me. This movie had a bad vibe, like a dark storm cloud hanging over it due to the idiot who did that shooting in Colorado. Still, in spite of that, the local decapitation and dismemberment case here in the metro Detroit area, and the stress of an extra long week of work, I was quickly able to escape into this celluloid world. I hadn't watched the other two Christopher Nolan films since their respective theatrical releases. Couple that with my limited knowledge of the DC Universe, and I went into this as a quasi-civilian. I do know that this movie doesn't adhere to Golden Age Batman, as I am knowledgeable about Batman until roughly 1945.
I saw this is 2-D, as I am completely over the inflated 3-D ticket prices. This film was slick and well done on all counts. Speaking as a civilian moviegoer and not as a comic book nerd, I felt that the story formed a cohesive, 3 film arc with no loose ends. I found the characterization to be consistent as initially laid out in this trilogy. (This is the eighth Batman movie overall, ninth if you count the animated theatrical release of Mask of the Phantasm from the early '90s.) The special effects were excellent and largely believable.
I am not sure if the Government would have really handled a hostage situation on US soil that way. The whole have vs. have not angle really worked, and something like that is plausible considering the recent Occupy protests and ever widening gaps between the haves and the have nots. As income levels and housing values fall, so do tax bases and city services. Police and firemen are being laid off, with their wages and benefits cut. The very bedrock of civilization seems to be teetering on the brink. Income disparity is at an all time high, and it is only a matter of time until riots or uprisings or worse occur in the real world. We will not have enough police or fire fighters on hand to deal with this fallout. It is not something that I am looking forward to, but here in Detroit it seems like an inevitability.
Catwoman was hot, although her outfit wasn't quite as hot as Michelle Pfeifer's in 1992's Batman Returns. The original Catwoman from the '60s Batman series is still the best, though. You really can't go wrong with that outfit. Anne Hathaway is very feline-esque in mannerisms and facial expressions. The character isn't even really a villain in this film.
This has been a tremendous year for comic book movies. Between The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man, and The Dark Knight Rises, it is evident that we are living in the golden age of comic book movie adaptations. I hope that this trend lasts a long, long time.
 
Follow my blog on Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. The Dark Knight Rises was not in 3-D...

    ReplyDelete