Monday, January 2, 2012

The Smurfs (movie)

The Smurfs (2011)
We were bored on New Year's Day, so we decided to take the kids to see a movie. After hemming and hawing, we decided to go to the dollar show. Billy had been bugging me to see this since it first came out, and I continually put it off since it looked so godawful. My expectations could not have been any lower. I mean, Smurfs in New York? How dumb. I have to admit that this was pretty enjoyable. They showed the Smurf village, and the actor who played Gargamel was clearly a Shakespearean trained actor, able to capture the nuanced, textured, tortured persona of Gargamel. By the end of the film I believed that he indeed was Gargamel. How he could be passed by for an Oscar nomination is beyond me. I was ticked that Azreal did not have the chunk out of his ear, but they showed that in the end. My guess is they wanted to save the cost of CGI effects of putting the crimp in his ear. Doogie Howser was in it, too. Again, I expected this to be the biggest piece of crap movie ever made and wound up enjoying it immensely. The title of biggest piece of crap still goes to G.I. Joe.

Like what you read? Follow my blog on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment