Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: The J. Geils Band w/ The Chris Robinson Brotherhood @ DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston, MI, 8/19/2011

The J. Geils Band w/ The Chris Robinson Brotherhood @ DTE Energy Music Theatre in Clarkston, MI, 8/19/2011
As you can tell by the bold highlight, I went to this show to see Chris Robinson's new gig, The Chris Robinson Brotherhood. I'm a huge Black Crowes fan and loved the New Earth Mud as well. This new band is (from what I could tell last night) a looser, jammier version of either band. The set was about 50 minutes long and they only did 5 songs, so sprawling was the norm. 
The band started out with a new song, Tomorrow Blues. The new songs were unknown to me since they don't have an album out or anything. Thanks to Facebook and Crowesbase, I know the names. Tulsa Yesterday, another new one, sounded great. Lots of vocal harmonies, this would be my favorite of the new songs.  

Poor Elijah- Tribute To Johnson (medley), a song the Crowes often covered live, was next. It was finally issued officially on the Warpaint Live live album in 2009. The diehards knew this one, but the vast majority of this audience was confused during this set. Most of them had been tailgating and wouldn't know anything other than J. Geils anyways, but these jams didn't help the CRB's cause out any.
Pardon the so-so pics. I just snapped a few for posterity. I like to actually watch concerts, not fuck with my phone the whole time. It's rude. My wife and I were thrilled to hear Sunday Sound off the New Earth Mud album. We have fond memories of that Magic Bag show in the Winter of 2003.
The last song was Rosalee, and Chris said "Thanks" and that was it. No pimping the new band, no real banter, fin. As you can see, the crowd was sparse during their set. People were streaming in throughout the show, but they obviously weren't interested in the CRB. That's their loss.

My wife and I dug it, and the weather was beautiful. Hopefully they'll roll through Detroit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment