Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Search For Junk Food For Thought


The Crazies
There is nothing new under the sun, only story ideas that are new to you. The Crazies would be a great movie to a teenager who had never seen Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, etc., but to me it is simply a good movie. The execution is good, and at the end of the day all that I ask of Horror movies is that they are well done and have no humor or cheesy Nu-Metal soundtracks. The Crazies works based on that notion. Those looking for a movie making an artistic statement or a movie with something new to say will be sorely disappointed. 6.5 out of 10.


Jimi Hendrix/ Valleys of Neptune
This album is for only the most die-hard music starved Jimi Hendrix fans. Whereas 1997's First Rays of the New Rising Sun was crammed with unreleased gold, this is loose and sloppy, jam-heavy blues. These are more like song sketches than true songs and are probably more interesting to musicians than fans like me who like Hendrix's songs. Of course the solos are impressive, but most of this album is filled with alterante versions of album songs or instrumental jams. Interesting but not essential.


The White Stripes/ Under Great White Northern Lights
Nearly 3 years after their last proper studio album (and 2 years after the Conquest EP), we finally get some new White Stripes to listen to. Yes, listen, as I have not watched the DVD as of this writing, but have soaked in the live album first. This is very raw and very real sounding, just like seeing them in person. I love how the arrangements and tempos are tinkered with, being much faster or slower than their recorded counterparts. I'm Slowly Turning Into You is the highlight of the album for me, as it sounds fabulous, with all of the noodling and organ bits. Listening to this was exciting, but it also made me sad, as I haven't seen them live since October of 2005. Given the fact that Jack White has 2 other bands, I probably won't be seeing them anytime soon, either. I will review the DVD after I have had a chance to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment